Post is also available in: Italian
Our stop this time is Turkey, to enjoy a succulent Turkish Kofte Recipe. Kofta or Köfte are delicious Turkish meatballs, cooked on a skewer, on the grill. They can be made with lamb meat, or beef and are one of the most popular and loved Turkish Meze and not only in Turkey! There are many variations. The ones I prepared today are
lamb rich in spices and aromatic herbs, cooked later on the plate on skewers.
The cooking is very quick and also the preparation of the dough. I have prepared it before and left to avor so that I can prepare the Lahmacun, a sort of Turkish pizza / focaccia with meat, in complete tranquility. Served with fresh tomatoes and salad, they are truly delicious, perhaps accompanied by Turkish bread such as Pita, Bazlama, Tantuni or Yufka.
Köfte Recipe Lamb Skewers
Kofte are a type of meatballs spread from India to Central Asia, from the Balkans to the Middle East. They can be prepared with minced meat from chicken, lamb, mutton, pork, and beef. Or in a combination of them mixed with chopped onion and spices. In some areas they can also be found based on sh or shrimp. The use of meat depends a lot on the area where you are. In India and Greece there are also vegetarian variants, consumed especially in the period of Lent. A raw Turkish kofta version is prepared with lentils or bulgur called Çig köfte.
It’s a very popular dish as street food, served in sandwiches, in fast food restaurants or in kebab restaurants, accompanied with french fries. In Arab areas they are always served stewed, because the “dry” variants are considered kebabs. Their shape ranges from classic round meatballs, flattened like handmade hamburgers or in an elongated shape like these Turkish Kofte Recipe. They are served with spicy sauces or sauces based on yogurt, salad and tomatoes or with a salad called Piyaz based on white beans, red onion and tomatoes.
Turkish Kofte Recipe Lamb Meat
- 450 g Lamb Minced Meat
- 70 g Yellow Onion grated
- 15 g Parsley
- 5 g Mint
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tsp Sumac
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper grated
- ½ tsp Cumin in powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Origan
- If you can't find minced lamb, buy a leg, which is rich in meat. Bone it carefully and cut the meat into very small pieces, so that it will be easier to pass it in the blender. If you have the minced meat, put it directly in the blender and blend it for a few minutes. Put it in a bowl.
- Grate the onion, minced the garlic, parsley and mint and add everything including the other ingredients in the meat and mix well. Leave to flavor for at least 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 9 parts as similar as possible, (I weighed and then divided the dough into 9). Take each portion of meat and stick it on the skewers.
- Heat the plate, once hot, cook the kofte. Not being big, it will take 15 – 18 minutes in total to cook them. Once grilled on one side (7 – 9 min) turn them over and finish cooking them.
- While they are cooking, put some salad on a plate together with some cherry tomatoes. Once the kofte are cooked, place them on the plate and serve with slices of lemon.
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney