Post is also available in: Italian
Tiroler Groest is a dish consisting mainly of meat, which can be beef or pork, today also chicken, speck, potatoes, onions and spices. It is a full-bodied second course, easy to prepare and absolutely satisfying! The onions are fried in butter and then bacon and meat are added, browning everything and then the potatoes are added and everything is roasted in a pan, a perfect dish to be accompanied by a nice beer!
Tiroler Groest, a Farmer’s Dish
The potato grostl is a dish of poor origin, it was prepared by the farmers using the leftover potatoes and meat fried with onion. A bit like Knoedel or canederli. Over time this dish has become a common dish loved by everyone and no longer prepared with leftovers only.
Tyrolean Grostl are prepared using various types of meat, roast pork neck, roast or boiled beef and roast chicken are the most used, I for example, had some leftover ground beef and I used that. Würstel are now also used. Being a dish often prepared in mountainous areas, mushrooms are also often added or enriched with cheese. In addition to salt and pepper, Tiroler Groest are flavored with various spices including cumin and chopped parsley and / or chives, all topped with a delicious fried egg with a liquid yolk.
- 1 Kg Potatoes
- 300 g Minced Beef or other cut
- 300 g Tyrolean Speck
- 130 g Cardoncelli Mushrooms
- 2 Yellow Onion medium size
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 50 g Butter
- 5 g Salt or to taste
- to taste Black Pepper
- 80 g Chives
- 6 Eggs
- 15 g Butter
- Put a large pot on the stove with water for the potatoes and a smaller one with water for the meat.
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Cut them in half and slice them about half a centimeter thick.
- Salt the water and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes.
- Crumble the minced meat and cook it in boiling water for 2 minutes and drain with a slotted spoon.
- Chop the onion not too finely, cut the mushrooms into small pieces, the speck into cubes and chop the chives.
- Heat a large pan, melt the butter and sauté the onion and mushrooms until golden.
- Add the speck and the meat and sauté everything together. Add the pepper and spices.
- When everything is golden add the potatoes and mix everything gently with a scoop from the bottom up. Once well mixed, let it brown for a couple of minutes and then turn everything and brown again. Continue until you get a homogeneous browning. Add half the chives and season with salt.
- In a non-stick pan, melt the butter and make the fried eggs.
- Serve hot with one egg per person and a handful of chives.
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney</p