Articolo disponibile anche in: Italian
The Stale Bread Cake is among the most common poor desserts, and it’s very good. Perfect in its simplicity, designed to avoid waste of leftover bread at home. On the outside it has a thin crust that encloses a delicious moist but firm interior, rich in raisins and rum-flavored prunes. It’s an ideal dessert to take away a little whim in the middle of the day or to start it with taste!
Stale Bread Cake
The cake with stale bread is a recipe created to avoid throwing away old and dry bread which was no longer suitable for eating at the table. Today bread is a very common food, but in the past, it was a very precious good that was prepared even only once a week, so out of necessity, over time many stale bread recipes have been created to avoid waste such as Panzanella, savory bread cakes and desserts such as Torta Paesana, bread pudding or Dumplings Bread and many others.
The recipes using stale bread have many variations, in my opinion all amazing, because they are all recipes very rich in flavor, not at all trivial in their simplicity.
How To Make A Bread Cake Recipe
The preparation of the Stale Bread Cake recipe is really simple! Start soaking the bread in milk a day before, so that it can become nice and soft. Also soak the raisins, prunes and pine nuts in the rum. The next day, squeeze the bread by placing it in a clean tea towel and squeezing out all the excess milk well. Also squeeze the dried fruit out of the rum, keeping the liquid aside.
To bake the cake, you can use a springform pan or a classic one, carefully butter and flour the pan you have chosen, even better if you line it with baking paper. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C.
In a bowl put bread with the eggs and sugar and start working the dough, once well blended add the dried fruit and rum. Mix again and finally pour the mixture into the bowl, put in the oven and cook for 35 minutes. Once cooked, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely without unmolding it. Once cold you can take it from the pan and serve it.
The variant that I propose to you today is my favorite, but there are many other recipes and variations. You can prepare it with candied fruit, with other dried fruit such as walnuts, almonds, replace the prunes with dried apricots or figs, use another distillate or omit it, and of course you can use chocolate chips. In short, you can create your favorite recipe.
How To Store Bread Cake?
To keep the bread cake in the best possible way, I recommend using a cake holder in winter to protect it from humidity, while in summer, if necessary, put it in the fridge. It’s a moist cake recipe full of milk and may go moldy or rancid, but I’m sure it will be gone long before that happens!
Stale Bread Cake With Raisins And Prunes
- 1 Cake Pan Ø 28cm
- 1 kg Bread stale or dry
- 1 L Milk
- 120 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 50 g Pine Nuts
- 100 g Dried Plums pitted
- 70 g Raisins
- q.s. Rum
- Soak the bread in the milk, and the raisins, pine nuts and pitted prunes in the rum.1 kg Bread, 1 L Milk, 50 g Pine Nuts, 100 g Dried Plums, 70 g Raisins, q.s. Rum
- After 24 hours, squeeze the bread well with the help of a kitchen rag. And even fruit soaked in rum without throwing it away.
- Line the pan with parchment paper or grease and flour it well.
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
- Once squeezed well, put the bread in a bowl and add the sugar, eggs and mix the mixture well.120 g Caster Sugar, 2 Eggs
- Add raisins, pine nuts and prunes and mix well. Finally add the remaining rum and mix. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 35 minutes.1 kg Bread, 50 g Pine Nuts, 100 g Dried Plums, 70 g Raisins, q.s. Rum
- Once cooked, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely before removing it from the pan.
- Serve cold and keep it in a cake box or in the fridge if it's hot.
Le informazioni nutrizionali mostrate sono una stima fornita da un calcolatore nutrizionale online. Non deve essere considerato un sostituto del consiglio di un nutrizionista professionista.