Post is also available in: Italian
Today we land in Mexico! To enjoy the Shrimp Tacos Recipe with Salsa Pico de Gallo. Soft corn tortillas, crunchy cabbage, succulent prawns flavored with cipotle and finally the Pico de Gallo sauce. Few ingredients for a truly spectacular recipe. For us it’s a moderately spicy recipe, but you can easily adapt the quantities of chilli to your tastes. Simple and quick to prepare, they are perfect at any time of day, perhaps to be enjoyed with a nice ice cold beer.
The Mexican Shrimp Tacos
This recipe is a typical dish from the Baja California area in Mexico. The perfect dish to serve by the sea with a nice ice cold beer. There are some variations, I have prepared a simple and fresh and Healthy Shrimp Tacos Recipe version. But you can add ingredients like Crème fraîche, lemon mayonnaise or avocado. The tortillas used for this tacos are the soft ones, made from corn flour. You can prepare them at home or buy them already made. We often think of tacos prepared with a crunchy corn tortilla, but in truth the original tacos are made with soft ones.
To give it the shell shape slightly, you can take a muffin pan, turn it upside down, slightly fold the tortillas and insert them between the spaces. Turn on the oven and once hot, heat it for a few minutes. Once hot, take it out of the oven. Leave it in “pose” for 1, maximum 2 minutes and you will get some nice shell tortillas perfect for your tacos!
When preparing tacos with pico de gallo sauce, I recommend taking only the part of “salad”, with a fork or if you have a small sieve. Otherwise you will also pick up the liquid. Which although delicious, will soak the tacos making the tortilla plump and consequently your tacos will be destroyed as soon as you take it from the plate.
Shrimp Tacos Recipe with Salsa Pico de Gallo
- 9 Corn Tortillas
- 300 g Prawns shelled, or approximately 27 prawn tails
- 1 Red Cabbage
- 1 tbsp Triple Tomato Concentrate
- 1 Shallot
- 2 Limes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Tabasco Chipotle
- to taste Coriander
- to taste Black Pepper
- to taste Salt
- to taste Pico de Gallo
- Cut the red cabbage finely into julienne strips. If the prawns were not shelled, clean them remembering to also eliminate the intestine. Peel the shallot and cut it finely into julienne strips. Heat a pan with a drop of oil and stew it with a pinch of salt.
- When the shallot is shiny, add the prawns, salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes, while in a small bowl mix the tomato paste with a spoonful of water and the tabasco cipotle to taste.
- Turn on the oven at 150 °C. Pour the concentrate into the prawns and cook for 2 – 3 minutes, then turn off the heat. Heat the corn tortillas in the oven for a few minutes.
- In each tortilla put a bed of cabbage, 3 prawns and the Pico de Gallo sauce taking it with a fork so as not to pull up the liquid. Chop fresh coriander and add them to the tacos. Serve the tacos accompanied by slices of lime and bowls of Pico de Gallo sauce.