Post is also available in: Italian
Today we land in Denmark to taste a truly delicious dessert. The Risalamande Recipe is a Danish Rice Pudding based on milk and rice with chopped almonds in which, once cold, whipped cream flavored with almonds is added. The addition of cream, makes it creamy and very light. To make it even more delicious, it’s served sprinkled with a delicious syruped cherry sauce. It’s a truly amazing dessert given its simplicity. Serve cold with warm syrup. It is really simple to prepare and if you love cherries you should definitely try it!
The Story of Danish Rice Pudding
Risalamande is one of the most famous danish dessert, typical of Christmas. And whoever finds a whole almond wins a marzipan animal-shaped treat. Risalamande Recipe it was created in the 19th century, and its recipe has remained almost unchanged. However, its popularity increased after rice pudding started to spread after the Second World War. Ingredients such as vanilla, cinnamon and rice were imported and therefore quite expensive. For a period it was prepared without almonds because of the difficulty of finding them.
Versions of Risalamande Recipe
Various variations of this sweet rice pudding are widespread in the rest of the Scandinavian peninsula. For example, the swedish rice pudding it’s prepared with advanced pudding, with or without almonds, there is also another variant that includes orange cubes and is served with jam or berries. As tradition, those who nd the whole almond should get married before the next Christmas. In Sweden the dessert is called Ris à la Malta. In Norway the dessert is called Riskrem and the almonds are usually outside to cover the dessert and instead of the schioppo of cherries it is served with raspberry or strawberry syrup.
Risalamande Recipe: Danish Rice Pudding
For the Pudding
- 220 g Roma Rice
- 280 g Water
- 885 g Milk
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Lemon Peel grated
- 2 tsp Caster Sugar
- 159 Almonds without peel
For the Cream
- 400 ml Fresh Cream
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Paste
- ½ tsp Almond Extract
- 230 g Cherries in Syrup
- 3 tsp Caster Sugar optional
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 30 g Water
- ½ tsp Almond Extract
- In a saucepan, put the rice, milk, water, salt and grated lemon peel. Stir and cook over medium heat. Cook taking care to stir occasionally. When the liquid comes to a boil add the sugar and stir, lower the heat and start stirring more often.
- Chop the almonds and when the rice liquid starts to thicken add them. Stir and let it finish cooking. Once cooked, let it cool completely.
- Whip the cream adding the sugar, vanilla paste and the extract of almond. Once ready, keep it in the fridge.
- Pour the cherries and syrup into a saucepan, add sugar (if you want), lemon juice, butter, starch dissolved in water and almond extract. Cook over low heat until the syrup thickens again. Turn off and let cool.
- With a spoon, divide the rice pudding, which will have thickened and add it a little at a time to the cream.
- When it is completely incorporated you can serve it. Put the Risalamande inside the cups and pour the syrup with the warm cherries over it.