Post is also available in: Italian
The Pearl Barley Salad with Veggie is a light and tasty dish ideal for summer. It is perfect to be prepared in advance, in fact in this way it will become more flavored and this makes it an excellent dish to be eaten during a picnic. Among the various cereals, pearl barley is one of my favorites, because besides being good it is versatile. Perfect for salads like this, in which it is pleasantly crunchy, or to prepare risotto, in soups or soups in which it will be softer, giving creaminess thanks to its starch.
How to Cooking Barley for Salad
Often barley is prepared in soups and creams, so you tend to imagine a medium-long cooking, instead it will take about 15-20 minutes. Stay around 15 minutes for cold salads and around 20 in case you want to make a risotto, in this case it will take the name of Orzotto. To ensure cooking, however, just read the package. Cold barley salad is an excellent alternative to pasta or rice. It can be enriched with various ingredients. You can add cheese, such as feta, mozzarella or provolone or chili pepper toma to give it a more pungent touch. Tuna or diced ham. Seasonal vegetables and finally season it with a nice citronette.
Prepare a Cold Pearl Barley Salad
The barley salad with vegetables that I propose, is a simple dish with many fresh ingredients, also suitable for vegans and vegetarians, since it does not contain any ingredient or animal derived. With the arrival of spring, many fresh vegetables are available, such as the sweet peas, those still to be shelled, which are cooked giving it just a sear in salted hot water. New courgettes, spring onions and aromatic herbs such as mint, so why not take advantage of it? The result was a genuine and tasty dish, fast and simple, here’s how to prepare the cold pearl barley salad!
Pearl Barley Salad with Veggie
- 250 g Pearl Barley
- 100 g Peas fresh
- 100 g Mixed Salad Valerian, Curly Endive, Red Radicchio
- 1 Green Onion
- 3 twigs Mint
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini
- 20 g Sunflower Seeds
- 20 g Pumpkin Seeds
- 20 g White Sesame Seeds
- 2 Lime Juice
- 4 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil or normal table salt
- to taste Camargue Salt
- Put a saucepan with plenty of water on the fire. Once it has boiled, add salt and add the barley and cook respecting the cooking times of the package. Once cooked drain it and put it in a bowl to cool.
- Wash and clean the other vegetables. Drain the water well from the salad. Take the courgette and cut it into small cubes, slice the spring onion, tomatoes and chop the mint leaves.
- Heat a pan with a spoonful of oil, once hot, sauté the courgettes making sure they do not flake. When cooked, turn off the heat, sprinkle with mint and let cool.
- Once cold, or almost all the cooked ingredients, we assemble the salad.
- In the bowl with barley add the courgettes, peas, tomato and spring onion.The mixed salad and the seeds. Squeeze the lime and dissolve the salt, add the oil and emulsify with a small whisk or fork. Once the citronette is ready, season the salad.