Articolo disponibile anche in: Italian
Octopus Pasta is a typical first course of Greek cuisine, which is usually prepared in an earthenware pot, which gives it a particular cooking. Pasta with octopus, tasty and very simple to prepare. A perfect first course to be enjoyed warm on a winter evening to warm up.
Octopus Pasta, A Greek Recipe
Pasta with octopus or Oktapodi Me Macarona, is a Greek recipe, similar to “Spaghetti Con Polpo” that are enjoyed in Italy. It’s stewed octopus with tomato and ditalini pasta cooked directly in tomato sauce. It is a dish prepared in an earthenware crock, with very few ingredients, initially I was a bit dubious because there are no spices or aromatic herbs apart from a little parsley. But it amazed me because you can feel all the intense taste of tomato and octopus and nothing else is really needed in this dish. Eaten as soon as it is prepared, it is a dish that warms the body and also the mood, tasty even cold but hot, it definitely gives its best.
I found this recipe in a cookbook, and doing some research on the internet I saw that the various recipes. Mainly involve the use of Ditalini or spaghetti (although here the name changes to “Ktapodi Me Macaronaki”), and in some cases I also saw macaroni.
Octopus Pasta Recipe
First, put the octopuses to cook in a pot with cold water, vinegar, the vegetables, and the parsley. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and cook for another 30 minutes. Once ready, turn off and leave to cool. I cooked the octopus in the morning and then completed the recipe in the evening, so you can safely do this part first.
When preparing it, drain the octopus without throwing away the broth. Clean the octopus from the beak, the inside of the head, if you don’t like it, remove the excess skin from the tentacles and then cut everything into chunks.
Chop the onion and brown it in the olive oil over low heat for 10 minutes. The recipe speaks of a clay pot, so if you have one I suggest you use it, but if you don’t have one, use what you have available. While it is browning, chop the garlic cloves and after ten minutes add them to the pan and let them infuse.
Raise the heat and add the tomato and bring it to a boil and add the octopus. Add salt and pepper and cook for 20 minutes over low heat. Filter 1/1 L and a half of the octopus broth and heat it in a separate saucepan. Once it comes to the boil, add the octopus, 1 liter of broth and the tomato ditalini. Cook for 20 minutes also considering the cooking of the pasta on the package so as not to overcook it. If you notice that the added broth is not enough, add a little broth at a time until cooked. Serve freshly cooked, sprinkled with parsley if you like.
Octopus Pasta – Oktapodi Me Macarona
- Earthenware Pot
To Boil Octopus
- 1 L Water
- ½ Carrot
- ½ stem Celery
- ½ Yellow Onion
- Parsley stalks
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 kg Octopus
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 White Onion medium chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 500 g Tomatoes mature past
- Black Pepper fresh ground
- 500 g Ditalini Pasta or small macaroni
- In a pot of cold water, put the vinegar, the vegetables, and the octopus. DO NOT salt the water.1 L Water, ½ Carrot, ½ stem Celery, ½ Yellow Onion, Parsley, 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- Cook over low heat, once it starts to simmer, cook for another 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the octopus and clean the inside of the brim, if you haven't already done so, and peel the larger tentacles and cut it into chunks. Strain the broth and set it aside.
- Heat the terracotta pan with the oil, if you don't have it, use a normal pan.4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Brown the chopped onion over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, then add the garlic.1 White Onion, 2 cloves Garlic
- Raise the heat and add the tomato, once it comes to a boil, add the octopus. Season with salt and pepper and cook covered for 20 minutes over very low heat.1 kg Octopus, 500 g Tomatoes, Black Pepper, Salt
- In a separate pot, heat 1 L of broth, once it comes to a boil, salt it and add it to the tomato and also add the pasta. Cook for coke 20 minutes, making sure the pasta is cooked through.500 g Ditalini Pasta
- Serve the dish still hot.
Le informazioni nutrizionali mostrate sono una stima fornita da un calcolatore nutrizionale online. Non deve essere considerato un sostituto del consiglio di un nutrizionista professionista.