Post is also available in: Italian
Today I want to offer you a Turkish dessert with the heady scent of orange blossom! The Muhallebi, are really simple Milk Pudding Recipe, reminiscent of the French Biancomangiare. To prepare them you need only 4 ingredients plus the garnish. It’s a light, creamy and very delicate pudding. Garnished with dried fruit or dates, they are perfect for a good and quick snack but also as a after dinner dessert!
The Story of Turkish Milk Pudding
The origins of this milk dessert can be defined as legend. It is said that it was introduced into the Arab kitchen, at the end of the 7th century, by a Persian cook, who prepared it for a famous general Al- Muhallab ibn Abi Sufra, who appreciated it so much, to give it its name.
It’s a dessert made from sugar, milk and rice flour or cornstarch, which are flavored with orange blossom water or with rose water. Then garnished with pistachios, walnuts, dates etc, served cold. It’s a dessert common throughout Turkey, it is very appreciated during the Ramadan period, but it’s consumed all year round, and is also served in restaurants. This turkish pudding is known by several names like Mehalabiya and others very similar.
How to Make Muhallebi
Muhallebi is a famous sweets, simple to make. It is not necessary to cook it in the oven since it’s a milk pudding without eggs. Dissolve the rice flour or cornstarch in the milk, so as to avoid lumps, add the vanilla extract and place on medium-low heat, so that the milk cooks and gradually thickens. When it comes to a boil add the sugar, lower the heat and continue stirring.
Once ready, add the rose or orange blossom water and immediately pour it into the molds or bowls so that the surface of the desserts remains smooth and regular. Let it cool, garnish to taste and keep in the fridge. Its simplicity makes it a really perfect light pudding for children, with little sugar, and if prepared with fresh milk it will be really delicious! Let’s go to prepare Milk Pudding Recipe.
Milk Pudding Recipe: Turkish Muhallebi
- 1200 g Milk whole fresh
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 70 g Rice Flour or corn or potato starch
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 ml Orange Blossom Water or rose water
- 75 g Dates
- 75 g Pistachios unsalted
- Weighs all the ingredients. In a saucepan, pour a little milk and then the rice flour (or starch) and mix well so as to eliminate all the lumps. Once mixed, add the rest of the milk and vanilla extract. Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Turn down the heat and add the sugar. Boil for another 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until you get a cream. Remove the cream from the heat and add the orange blossom or rose water. Mix well and divide it into 6-7 bowls (depends on the size). Leave to cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Stone the dates and cut them into small pieces. Shell the pistachios and chop them. When serving, garnish with dates or pistachios or with both.
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney