Post is also available in: Italian
First article after the restyling! Let’s celebrate with a nice tasty and particular dish, typical of Turkey, the Lahmacun Recipe. They call it “pizza”, but it doesn’t really have the consistency of pizza. The crust dough is made with bread flour or semolina or, with a mixture of the two. The result is a crispy crust, both at the edges and in the center, very different from that of pizza. The topping, on the other hand, is really rich in perfumes. Prepared with minced lamb meat, and enriched with tomatoes and herbs such as parsley and mint.
But it doesn’t end there, inside there is a really rich mix of spices. The ground Sumac, or the fruits of the “Sicilian Sumac”, a plant that gives fruits with a sour taste similar to lemon, which gives a sense of freshness. Jamaica Pepper with large grains, and a delicate aroma of pepper, particularly fruity. And other spices such as Aleppo pepper, cumin and cinnamon. Ground lamb can be a bit difficult to find, so I suggest you buy a leg, dust it and proceed with the recipe.
Lahmacun Recipe, Turkish Pizza Recipe
Lahmacun Recipe is a real street food in Turkey, normal or spicy. But it can be found practically all over the Middle East, obviously with some variations. It’s eaten as a snack or as a quick lunch. It’s sold practically on every street corner and served in mini format in restaurants as an appetizer. The pasta is robust, thanks to the semolina, the topping is rich, sprinkled on top of it and then lightly pressed so that it does not fall. This turkish pizza recipe is then baked in the oven, usually wood-fired at high temperatures. The meats used are usually sheep and beef. I tried to make them with beef, but with lamb they are really much better.
This turkish pizza recipe is eaten still hot accompanied by a few drops of lemon juice. Very often it’s further stuffed with a variant of the Piyaz salad, prepared with red onions, tomato and sumac. I also added some lamb’s lettuce leaves that left me but the taste is absolutely not changed. Or it’s accompanied with grilled aubergines.
Lahmacun Recipe is usually accompanied with one of these two drinks, Salgam Suyu, barrel fermented pickled red carrot juice, subsequently salted, spiced and flavored with a turnip called çelem. The second is simpler to prepare, but no less particular, the Ayran. A cold drink served with yogurt, water and salt. I tried to prepare it and it is really good and refreshing. The combination is perfect because the natural acidity of the yogurt perfectly cleans the mouth of the Lahmacun Recipe. But let’s go prepare them!
Lahmacun Recipe: Turkish Pizza
- 359 g Bread Flour bread flour
- 4 g Instant Yeast
- 3 g Caster Sugar
- 2 g Salt
- 1 Egg
- 50 ml Milk whole
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 300 g Lamb ground fat or beef
- 1 White Onion small
- 15 Cherry Tomatoes or 6 medium
- 2 tbs Triple Tomato Concentrate
- 20 g Parsley chopped or chopped cilantro
- 10 g Mint chopped
- 1 tbs Sumac ground
- 2 tsp Aleppo Hot Pepper in flakes, optional
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp Allspice ground
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper ground
- 3 Tomatoes without skin
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Red Onion fine cut
- 1 tsp Sumac
- 1 bunch Parsley coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp Sweet Paprika in flakes or powder
- Heat the milk without boiling it.
- In a bowl mix flour, dry yeast, brown sugar and salt. In a jug or bowl, mix milk, egg and extra virgin olive oil.
- Make a hole in the middle of the flour and pour the liquid mixture mixing it with the flour. Knead for at least 5-6 minutes. When the dough is smooth and elastic, put it to rise covered with plastic wrap for 2 hours until it is doubled.
- Work the dough on a floured surface. Divide into four and make balls. Cover them with plastic wrap for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200 °C. And heat the pan(s) in the oven.
- If you bought the thigh, flesh it out and cut the meat into small pieces. If you already have minced meat, go to the next step.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove all seeds and the central pulp. In a blender put the tomatoes and all the other ingredients of the filling except the meat and blend them.
- Add the meat and blend until a homogeneous mixture.
- Prepare the accompanying Piyaz salad by combining all the ingredients and mixing.
- Take a ball of dough and spread it on a thin disc. Put it on a piece of baking paper and brush the edges with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Take the meat dough and divide it into 4 portions. Take ¼ of the dough and spread it on the dough disc leaving 1 and a half cm of free edge. With your hands or with the back of spoon, press the dough into the dough.
- Cook in the hot pan for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve them hot with the Piyaz, lemon juice and Ayran salad