Post is also available in: Italian
Today I thought of going to China and preparing a delicious Fry Squid Recipe. If you like fried squid then you should definitely try it! Chinese cuisine is often identified as a cuisine rich in dishes that are difficult to prepare but they are not all like that! Today’s dish is really simple, a light fry rich in flavors. The strong aroma of white pepper goes perfectly with squid which are covered with a very light crunchy batter. Peppers give a touch of sweetness and coriander gives a fresh note.
How to Made Fried Squid
The Chinese fried squid is a really tasty recipe. White pepper gives this dish a warm note, its spiciness is constant and doesn’t increase and makes it really pleasant to taste. I call it a little spicy but the degree of spiciness is something absolutely subjective so I marked it as spicy.
To obtain a light and crispy frying, the use of potato or corn starch is indeed the key to everything.
Alone or mixed with eggs, as in this case, it will always give a crisp and dry frying. Unfortunately it’s not possible to obtain the same result with flour or wheat starch. I prepared this dish twice and normally it shouldn’t look so yellow but my egg yolk was really orange this time! So if your frying turns light yellow don’t worry, that’s how it should be.
There are those who like to add more spiciness to Fry Squid Recipe by using a little chilli pepper, but personally I find it perfect. At most, I recommend adding Kubebe or Cubebe ground pepper, with a fruity aroma and a fresh hint of lemon to give it more aromatic notes. But now let’s prepare our Chinese Salt and Pepper Squid accompanied perhaps with delicious white rice.
Fry Squid Recipe: Chinese Salt and Pepper Squid
- 550 g Squid
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 1 Sweet Pepper red
- 1 Sweet Pepper green
- 3 Green Onion
- 2 tbs White Pepper
- 60 g Cornstarch
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ½ Egg
- 2 tbs Sunflower Oil
- 1 bunch Coriander
- to taste Salt
- Sunflower Oil for frying
- Clean the squid by removing the skin, intestines, eyes and beak. Wash and dry them with kitchen paper.
- Cut into strips about one centimeter wide and about 4-5 cm long, put them in a bowl and add a pinch of black pepper and a pinch of salt, mix and leave to marinate.
- Wash the vegetables, cut the peppers into rings and slice the onions. Heat the oil until it reaches 170 °C.
- To the squid, add 1/2 egg and corn starch, mix well to make the batter stick to the squid. Start frying the pieces of squid a little at a time, making sure that they don't stick together. Drain them on kitchen paper or paper for fried food.
- After frying, add two tablespoons of oil (not olive oil) to a wock or pan and heat. Add the white pepper, spring onions and garlic. Let them fry so that they release their aroma.
- Once ready, salt them, mix and add the coriander leaves. Serve with white rice.