Post is also available in: Italian
Today I made the Danish Meatballs called Krebinetter. They are simple pork balls, seasoned with salt and pepper, breaded in egg and breadcrumbs fried in oil and butter, served with peas and carrots in a simple and tasty sauce and boiled potatoes. It’s a really simple, quick but really tasty recipe. It’s a dish that tastes like genuine home cooking. Meatballs are tasty, crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. The sauce is perfect, because it perfectly combines the flavor of the broth with the sweetness of carrots and peas, potatoes are simple boiled potatoes but you know potatoes are perfect in any dish.
The Danish Meatballs Krebinetter are usually served accompanied by mustard which gives an extra sprint given its particular spiciness.
It is a nutritious and light dish perfect for dinner and to conclude a perfect Danish dinner, as a dessert I recommend a cup of Risalamande, rice pudding with cherries in syrup!
Danish Meatballs: Krebinetter or Frikadeller?
Krebinetter meatballs are a Danish specialty, consisting of thick pork meatballs, or a mix of pork and beef (if you don’t eat pork just use beef!). In Denmark in the Zeeland region they are known as Krebinetter, while in the Jutland region they are called Frikadeller. Often these two names are used without problems to call these Danish meatballs but there are also those who say that there are differences between them.
The Krebinetters would be dipped in eggs and then in breadcrumbs or flour and would have a more oblong shape. The Frikadeller instead are round and flat and sometimes fried without the breading.
In any case, these meatballs are accompanied with vegetables cooked in sauce, boiled potatoes and / or stewed cabbage and rye bread.
Danish Meatballs Krebinetter
- 600 g Pork Mince Meat
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbs Water
- 50 g Breadcrumbs
- to taste Salt
- to taste Black Pepper
- 30 g Butter
- 30 ml Sunflower Oil
Sauce with Carrots and Peas
- 350 g Peas
- 5 Carrots
- 2 tbs Pastry Flour
- 210 ml Milk
- 210 ml Vegetable Broth
- 1 Butter
- ½ cup Parsley chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 800 g Potatoes boiled
- Dijon Mustard or other type
- Cook the potatoes in plenty of water. Once cooked, also sear the previously washed and peeled carrots to soften them without letting them cook completely. Once ready, drain and keep them aside.
- Put the minced meat in a bowl, add salt and pepper and mix everything well.
- Heat a pan with oil and butter and fry the meatballs for 5 minutes on each side over medium-low heat to cook inside as well.
Sauce with Vegetables
- Dice the carrots, slice the potatoes and chop the parsley.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, while mixing the flour with the milk and add it to the butter and cook for a couple of minutes while continuing to mix.
- Add the broth and heat everything over medium heat. Once it comes to a boil, add the peas, carrots and chopped parsley. Cook until the sauce has thickened andseason with salt.
- Serve three meatballs each, with the vegetable sauce and sliced boiled potatoes accompanied by mustard (if you like).
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney</p