Post is also available in: Italian
One of the most iconic street foods in the United States is definitely Corn Dog Recipe. They are fried cornmeal battered Würstel served on a stick, to be enjoyed while strolling down the street.
After trying different recipes, I found my favorite, which is the one with honey in the batter and the Würstel with cheese. Despite the presence of honey and sugar, they will not be as sweet as you might think. To prepare an excellent batter I suggest you use classic corn flour and not the one to make Italian express polenta, because the result will not be at all satisfactory as with “normal” corn flour and it could also remain a little raw.
Another important ingredient is baking powder, which will add lightness to the batter. The last “secret” ingredient is buttermilk. If you don’t have it at home or you can’t find it, don’t despair, because you can prepare it at home with really simple ingredients or you can use milk as an alternative, they know excellent anyway.
The Birth of the Corn Dog Recipe
The birth of the Corn Dog recipe dates back to the 1920s, thanks to German immigrants who arrived in Texas. The beloved German Würstels were not greeted with enthusiasm at first, so they thought of wrapping them in batter and then frying them. Starting in 1929 they began to appear on wooden sticks. Well, it goes without saying that the idea was a success given their popularity today. After the 1930s, special machinery also began to appear in order to prepare them and it was not many years before the start of large-scale production by various producers who claimed their authorship.
Nowadays, Corn Dogs are sold in fast food restaurants, stadiums, streets and amusement parks. There are different variations like the ones I propose, namely Corn Dog Recipe with Honey, but there are also in mini version, served as an appetizer in restaurants or used in children’s menus.
The Cornbrat, where the sausage is used instead of the classic würstel, in other cases you can find the würstel stuffed with cheese, or they can be baked in the oven instead of being fried. There is also a Korean version called Cheese Corn Dog, which features würstel, mozzarella and once fried it is covered in sugar, and I can’t wait to try that too! But in the meantime, here is the recipe to prepare delicious Corn Dog Recipe with Honey!
Corn Dog Recipe with Honey
- Wooden Skewers
- 250 g Corn Flour
- 210 g All Purpose Flour
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 12 g Baking Powder
- 1 tbs Butter melted or oil
- 300 g Buttermilk or milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbs Honey
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 10 Frankfurters
- Sunflower Oil for frying
- Mix the cornmeal and all purpose flour. Add the Baking Powder, sugar and salt.
- In a jug, mix the egg, melted butter, honey and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry one, stirring constantly. Once ready, put it in the fridge for 15 – 30 minutes.
- While the batter is in the fridge, pat dry the frankfurters, so that the batter does not slip. Thread a skewer in each of them.
- Heat the oil for frying, when it reaches 175 – 176 ° C take the first frankfurter and dip it in the batter so that it is nicely wrapped in it. Remove it from the batter, check that there are no uncovered parts and put it to fry.
- Cook for 2 – 3 minutes so that the browning is uniform. Once golden, remove it from the oil and put it to dry on some paper for fried or cooking. Serve them hot accompanied by sauces of your choice.
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney