Post is also available in: Italian
Today we stop in France to enjoy a nice dessert! The Clafouti is typical of the area of Limousin, the most famous variant of this dessert is certainly the one with black cherries, but since it is no longer cherry period, I chose to prepare a delicious Clafouti Recipe with American Grapes (or Isabella Grapes), which in Italy we call Uva Fragola (strawberry grape).
Typical French Dessert: The Clafouti
The clafouti dessert is a simple and quick to prepare. If you don’t have the cherries available, you can prepare it based on seasonal fruit. I made it with American grapes, which is found in the short period between late August and late September (sometimes even until mid- October). This typical French dessert has already spread in the nineteenth century. There is also a savory variant which, however, takes the name of Flaugnarde which can be based on vegetables, ham or cheese.
The strawberry grape is a grape variety of American origin with a taste reminiscent of the strawberry, although I personally don’t see this similarit … It’s a very fragrant grape, in fact all the preparations with this fruit have a very intense aroma. It has a thick skin and a very sweet pulp,and I must admit that as good as raw, it gives the best of itself cooked.
For this dessert with strawberry grapes, given the amount of fruit, I saved myself from eliminating the seeds, but if you really don’t want them you can very patiently eliminate them. There are several desserts with strawberry grapes including Sugoli, sweets prepared with cooked grapes and then made thick with the addition of corn flour and Ciaccia with American Grapes a sweet focaccia that reminds of Schiacciata. Once the Clafouti Recipe with American Grapes is cooked, you can eat it warm, accompanied with whipped cream or ice cream or at room temperature. If you don’t eat it all, I suggest you keep it in the fridge.
Clafouti Recipe with American Grapes
- Hinged Cake Pan 25 cm Ø
- 500 g Strawberry Grapes (American Grape)
- 80 g Caster Sugar
- 100 g Pastry Flour
- 40 g Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 250 ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 20 g Caster Sugar
20 g Butter For the Pan
- Wash and dry the grapes and if you want to remove the seeds. Grease the pan, lay it in the grapes and set it aside.
- Scalda il forno a 180 °C.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Work the sugar with the eggs, once well mixed, add the butter, vanilla and a pinch of salt to the mixture.
- Add the flour little by little by sieving it, then pour the milk incorporating it little by little to avoid lumps. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with granulated sugar and let it cool before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney