Post is also available in: Italian
Cinnamon Apple Cookies are small shortbread biscuits filled with soft cinnamon apples. The perfect autumn cookies. I was inspired by the famous italian biscuits, which I personally love. They are small and delicious, one leads to another, ideal for treating yourself to a bit of sweetness during the day, or accompanied by a good warm tea.
How to Prepare the Apple and Cinnamon Biscuits
These cinnamon apple cookies recipe are not difficult to prepare. First of all I suggest you knead the pastry and then let it rest in the fridge. Meanwhile clean the apples, cut them and put them in the pan. Making the fruit sauté in the pan, we will make the apple filling of our biscuits tasty and fragrant, but remember not to flake the apples completely.
To prepare these cookies I tried to recreate their flavor but at the same time to personalize them a bit. I made the pastry with a wholegrain flour, less refined than the pastry flour. And for the filling combination I chose the apple and cinnamon which is a real classic, but in case you are not lovers of this spice, you can always replace it with vanilla or lemon peel.
One thing to pay particular attention to is the closing the cookies. The apple hearts, if not well sealed, may open during baking. To prevent this from happening, we have created two sheets of shortcrust pastry. On the first we distributed the filling in small heaps (as is done for ravioli). Then we laid the second sheet over it, and cut it with a dough round cutter. In this way we have obtained uniform biscuits, of almost identical size and cooking proof.
We cooked it in two stages, 30 minutes + 30 more times in order to obtain a uniform cooking and browning, given that the wholegrain flour tends to not immediately brown like the pastry flour. But now, let’s put our hands in dough, and prepare our cinnamon apple cookies.
Cinnamon Apple Cookies
- 300 g Whole Grain Flour
- 180 g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 Yolk
- 20 g Stevia
- 5 g Vanilla Extract
- 1 Apple golden
- 1 Apple pink lady
- ½ Vanilla Bean
- ½ Lemon Juice
- 25 g Butter
- 5 tbs Maple Syrup
- 3 g Cinnamon
- Create a fountain with flour, or use the mixer. Add the sugar and room temperature butter into small pieces in the center. Start kneading creating a crumbly dough.
- Recreate the fountain and add the whole egg, yolk and vanilla extract to the center.Knead until a homogeneous dough is obtained. Once ready, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge.
Prepare the biscuits
- Wash and peel the apples. Remove the core, cut it first into slices, then into strips and finally into cubes.
- Divide the pastry into two, and roll both with a rolling pin. Put the filling on one, creating many small mounds, as you do for stuffed pasta.
- Place the other sheet of dough and cup the biscuits with a small pastry cutter. Continue until the end of the filling.
- Heat the oven to 190 °C and cook them. Once 30 minutes have passed, lower the oven to 180 °C and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, take them out of the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney