Post is also available in: Italian
Cherry season has arrived and so I decided to prepare this Cherry Sponge Cake, called Bublanina. A soft sponge cake, full of juicy fresh cherries, served lightly dusted with powdered sugar. A simple cherry pie that can enhance all the freshness of the fruit.
At first, you may think it is a dry dessert, but it is not. At each bite, all the juice of the fresh cherries is extracted, which despite being sweet have their natural acidity which is perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the sponge cake, making this sweet moist and truly irresistible!
Bublanina, The Other Cherry Cakes And Variation
Bublanina is a easy cherry cake recipe, typical from Czechoslovakia and Slovenia. It’s a cake with fresh cherries but not only. In addition to cherry, strawberries, apricots, raspberries and plums are also used in summer, and frozen fruits are also used in winter.
The dough of this Slovak cake, which wraps around the fruit, is a sponge cake that can be prepared with or without butter, in some cases replaced with oil. It can be flavored with vanilla or lemon. There are different methods of preparation, you can mix all the ingredients together at once, or create the dry mixture which will then be added to the wet one, or prepare the dough like a classic cake by whipping the egg whites.
Cherry Sponge Cake it’s usually prepared by pouring the dough into a pan lined with butter and flour or breadcrumbs and the fruit is placed by hand piece by piece in the batter.
It’s a soft and light cherry sponge cake recipe, which is prepared all year round both at home as a quick dessert for every day, but it can also be found in pastry shops. Once cut it’s very nice to see because you can see the whole fresh fruit. It’s served in a simple way only with a veil of icing sugar.
Cakes With Fresh Fruits
In addition to Bublanina, there are many other cakes with cherries and fresh and whole fruit that can be found all over Europe. The Clafoutis typical of the Limousin area in France prepared mainly with cherries, while when plums or apples are used it takes the name of flognarde. Also in France we find the Far Breton with plums typical of Breton area. In Romania, Prăjitură cu caise is prepared with apricots. And these are just some of the various sweets recipes of this kind.
Prepare The Cake With Fresh Bublanina Cherries
This cherry sponge cake is really easy to make. First of all, wash and stone the cherries, to do this you can make a cut and extract the cherries, or you can use a pitter, a really more practical and unexpectedly fast option!
First, I lined a pan with butter and breadcrumbs, but if you want you can also use flour. In the recipe that I propose to you, I did not use butter. I whipped the egg yolks with a couple of tablespoons of sugar. Then I worked the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, vanilla and a couple of tablespoons of hot milk. Once you have a cream, I added the flour mixed and sifted with the yeast a little at a time, adding a little hot milk until they are used up. Lastly, I added the whipped egg white, stirring gently.
I poured the mixture into the pan and shook it a little to let any air bubbles rise. At this point I added the cherries one by one distributing them evenly throughout the pan. Bake it at 170 °C for 45 minutes. Once cooked, I left it in the oven for 5 minutes off, then took it out of the pan and let it cool on a wire rack. before serving it, I covered it with a thin layer of icing sugar and cut the cherry sponge cake into squares.
Cherry Sponge Cake Czech Bublanina
- 1 Rectangular Baking Tray 40 x 30 cm
- 750 g Cherries pitted
- 320 g All Purpose Flour
- 250 g Caster Sugar
- 240 ml Milk hot
- 1 tsp Vanilla Paste
- 3 Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 7 g Cake Yeast
- q.s. Butter
- q.s. Breadcrumbs
- q.s. Icing Sugar
- Rinse the cherries, drain and stone them by making a vertical cut and extracting the core or use a pitter.750 g Cherries
- Grease the pan with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.q.s. Breadcrumbs, q.s. Butter
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff with a spoonful of sugar.3 Egg Whites, 250 g Caster Sugar
- In another bowl, put the egg yolks, vanilla paste, remaining sugar and a tablespoon of hot milk. Beat with a hand or electric whisk until the yolk mixture is soft but firm. If you do this by hand it may take a while, about 10 minutes.1 tsp Vanilla Paste, 3 Yolks, 250 g Caster Sugar
- Mix the flour with the baking powder. Gradually add it along with the milk to the yolk mixture. Stir briefly with a whisk.320 g All Purpose Flour, 7 g Cake Yeast, 240 ml Milk
- Stir in the whipped egg whites by hand, being careful not to dismantle the whipped whites.
- Pour the batter into the lined pan. Smooth the surface evenly, trying to eliminate any air bubbles. Add the pitted cherries, by hand evenly throughout the pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Let it cool for about ten minutes in a pan then take it out of the mold by letting it cool on a rack.
- Once cold, dust it with icing sugar, cut it into squares and serve.q.s. Icing Sugar
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.