Post is also available in: Italian
Today we enjoy a nice Carrots Cake with Almonds! I love this cake as a child, in fact if it lasts more than a day it’s already so much! The peculiarity of this cake, apart from its goodness, is the fact that it has no butter in the dough, so it is a dessert suitable for those on a diet.
This Carrots Cake has a compact texture, but not heavy. In the original recipe, a decoration of icing sugar is provided, but I have always preferred it without, since I am not a lover of too sugary desserts, but this time I decorated it, creating a stencil with baking paper. One way to make the cake even tastier would be to find fresh carrots, with the green part still attached. I assure you that it will have a carrot flavor, even more intense and sweet.
The Origins of Carrots Cake Recipe
The origins of Carrots Cake are really vague. There are several historical notes that see it appear in the Middle Ages where the carrot was used instead of honey and sugar, two rare and expensive products. Obviously it was a very different dessert then compared to any version known today. Another appearance, makes it during the Second World War in England, where it became very famous, during the rationing period. Subsequently, it continued to be served during tea time. Finally in America, where it is often served stued and covered with cream cheese or butter cream is one of the most common cakes, and it’s the most richest carrot cake.
My version is a very easy carrot cake recipe rich in almonds. You can use almond flour or you can finely chop it, this will give it a slightly crunchy texture. Or you can try something in between. Finely grate the carrots and when you add them to the eggs, do it gradually, especially if the carrots are fresh. In this case, they will be particularly wet, so they will not be well separated after adding the flour, and lumps may form.. And if you like carrot cakes you can also try the
Good Carrot Cake to everyone!!
Carrots Cake with Almonds
- 100 g Pastry Flour
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 200 g Almonds flour
- 200 g Carrots
- 16 g Cake Yeast or Baking Powder
- 45 g Water
- to taste Icing Sugar optional
- to taste Butter for the pan
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and keep them in the fridge.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until creamy. Mix the carrots with the flour and a pinch of salt and add them a little at a time to the eggs.
- Add finely chopped almonds or almond flour, and three tablespoons of hot water.
- Add the yeast to the dough and mix. Add the beaten egg whites a little at a time, stirring gently.
- Heat the oven to 170 °C.
- Grease the pan, pour the mixture and bake for 45 minutes. Once cooled, if you want, sprinkle with icing sugar.
Did You Make This Recipe? Tag @RecipesJourney on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #recipesjourney