Post is also available in: Italian
Today I propose you a classic of the French brasseries, the Beef Tartare Recipe. But what is steak tartare? Is a preparation based on raw beef or horse meat, which is seasoned with various ingredients such as mustard, another typical French product, lemon juice, capers and other fInely chopped ingredients added to the meat to flavor it. To prepare it usually, a piece of lean meat is used as fillet or sirlion, which is chopped with a knife. You can use fresh classic mince, but it will not be the same.
As a final touch it is served with a raw egg yolk accompanied by croutons and french fries. It’s certainly a very tasty dish. It can be a perfect second course, ideal if you want to stay light, or an appetizer.
The Origins of Steak Tartare Recipe
Beef Tartare Recipe is said to be a dish that originates from a medieval Asian population, the Tartars. These people migrated from one place to another in the steppe and had the habit of slaughtering the animals and putting the meat under the saddles of the horses, so as to let the blood flow out and preserve the meat. The meat was then cut into small pieces and minced before being consumed. Another story classies it as a more modern dish created in the German city of Hamburg, where it is served with onions and breadcrumbs.
How to Make Steak Tartare Recipe
Today the knife tartare is prepared with beef or horse meat, but other fresh or seasoned ingredients are used. There are tartars of other kinds of meat, such tuna or seafood, prawns, lobsters or scallops. Without neglecting the most recent vegetables.
It is a dish present in various areas of the world beyond France, in Italy for example, but also in Mexico and South Korea with the nameof Yookhwe.
Beef Tartare Recipe French Brasserie Style
- g Beef Fillet
- g Capers
- g Chives
- g Parsley
- g Pickled Gherkins
- g Shallot
- g Dijon Mustard
- tbsp Alsatian Mustard
- tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- tbsp Red Tabasco
- tsp Worcestershire
- pinch Salt
- to taste White Pepper
- to taste Lemon Juice
- 1 Yolk
- Take the fillet and cut it into small pieces. Now with a sharp knife, start chopping the meat. Once ready put it in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Chop all the other ingredients separately, if the capers are in salt, first put them in a bath in warm water to desalinate them.
- Add the oil to the meat and mix well. Once mixed add the two mustard variety, Worcestershire, tabasco and mix again.
- Combine all the other ingredients that you have chopped, the lemon in the quantity you prefer, salt and pepper. Mix well and with the help of a pastry cutter create a round shape or square.
- With the fingertip or with the back of a spoon create a dimple on the top and lay the yolk. Serve with croutons and french fries.