Post is also available in: Italian
I am finally able to publish the recipe for my favorite apple pie: the American Apple Pie Recipe! Obviously I’m talking about the famous American apple pie, even if I would call it more a tart than a pie, but frankly it doesn’t matter because it’s DELICIOUS!
The American Apple Pie Recipe
The American Apple Pie is a typical American recipe, among the various desserts it is certainly among the best known together with brownies.
The American Apple Pie Recipe is composed of the shortcrust pastry that completely encloses it. It is a particular shortcrust pastry prepared with flour, butter and water. It remains crunchy on the outside but absorbs all the aroma and flavor of apples inside. The filling is prepared with apples, sugar and a little cornstarch flavored to taste with lemon zest and / or cinnamon.
I would define the American apple pie rightly sweet, with a hint of acidity given naturally by apples and probably for this reason I love it. You can eat it slice by slice without ever getting tired of it, because it is light and not cloying. To make the moment to taste it even more special, I suggest you accompany it while still hot with a scoop of Fior di latte or Vanilla ice cream. The heat of the cake will slowly melt the ice cream, which will mix with the apples and the pastry making each bite truly delicious!
Another typical American pie is the American Sweet Potato Pie but there are also other variations such as
The History Of American Apple Pie
American Apple Pie Recipe is the cake that embodies the American spirit. It is a dessert that was born at the time of the pilgrims. In England the pies of this kind were mostly of the salty type, upon their arrival, the pilgrims cultivated English apples and realized that it was a particularly prosperous cultivation, so they began to use them to prepare pies.
A couple of apple pie recipes appeared in 1796 in Amelia Simmons’ American Cookery cookbook. Later the writer Henry Finck in his book Food and Flavor wrote “The apple pie is ours as much as our flag”. The cake survived the civil war and continued to thrive.
American Apple Pie Recipe became a nationalist symbol during the World War I period. The newspapers, starting with the New York Times, made statements such as “is the American synonym for prosperity”, or “Pie is the food of the heroics” or the better known “American like apple pie”.
During 1935, the government used the cake to resolve a confrontation between the state of New York and Oregon. A tough debate ensued as to who produced the best apples, as a result Oregon sent apples to Congress and New York sent 75 pies in response. Taste the pies, the Oregon rep said the crust was good but there weren’t enough apples to decree a winner. on the other hand, Connecticut claims that a Connecticut apple pie made by a Connecticut pastry chef would never be beaten by a New York or Oregon pie.
During World War II, American soldiers revived the patriotism surrounding the cake once again, claiming they were fighting “for mom and apple pie.”
Although her patriotism would seem built around episodes related to the war, the Americans consider her a symbol because it embodies the meeting of different cultures thanks to the various ingredients used. The spices used are Asian countries such as Indonesia (cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla), English apples, wheat from the Middle East, butter brought by Christopher Columbus. This cohesion of ingredients represents the cultural variety that distinguishes them.
American Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 Cake Pan 24 cm Ø
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 350 g Pastry Flour
- 175 g Water
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 1 kg Apples Renette otherwise Granny Smiths and / or Golden
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 85 g Caster Sugar
- 1 – ½ Tbsp Cornstarch
- q.s. Cinnamon
- q.s. Vanilla Paste
- q.s. Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tbsp Caster Sugar
For The Pan
- 50 g Corn Flour
- q.s. Butter
- Make a fountain with the flour in the center put the butter and water. Knead quickly so that the butter and dough does not heat up.350 g Pastry Flour, 175 g Water, 6 Tbsp Butter
- Butter and flour the pan with the cornmeal.q.s. Butter, 50 g Corn Flour
- As soon as the dough is ready, wrap it in cling film and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, divide the dough in half. Work the first half trying to get a disc of dough with a diameter of about 35 cm. If necessary, flour the rolling pin and lightly roll it out in order to pull it without sticking to it.
- Once the dough has been rolled out, fold it in half and in half again to obtain ¼. Place the ¼ of dough in the pan, and now open it to cover it, and make it adhere gently to the pan. Do not cut the excess edge.
- Start preheating the oven to 220 °C (200 °C if ventilated).
- Peel the apples and slice them, sprinkle them with lemon juice to keep them from oxidizing, and add the sugar, starch and spices, mixing them without breaking them.1 Lemon Juice, 85 g Caster Sugar, 1 – ½ Tbsp Cornstarch, q.s. Cinnamon, q.s. Vanilla Paste, q.s. Nutmeg, 1 kg Apples
- Place the apples on the baking sheet.
- Brush the edge of the tart with milk.1 Tbsp Milk
- Roll out the other half of the dough as you did with the previous one and fold it as before.
- Place the pastry on the apples and unfold it to cover the cake.
- Make the edges of the two sheets adhere well by pressing on the edge with your fingertips and then cut off the excess.
- Pinch the edge of the cake to seal it further and create a pretty edge. Make a hole in the center of the pasta so that the steam can escape during cooking.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and form diamonds, in the center of each make small incisions so that they look like the veins of a leaf.
- Place a first round of leaves around the fireplace and a second round it to create a flower.
- Brush the surface with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar.1 Tbsp Milk, 1 Tbsp Caster Sugar
- Bake the cake at 220 °C for 15 minutes, then lower the oven to 180 °C (170 °C if ventilated) and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, take it out of the oven. The cake can be served warm perhaps accompanied by vanilla ice cream or mozzarella or let it cool completely.
- It can be kept in the fridge especially in summer.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.